© 2020 Bungay Neighbourhood Development Plan Steering Group
Website by Tony Dawes
Bungay Neighbourhood Development Plan
About The Plan
Bungay Town Council has resolved to produce a Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) and to establish separate project management arrangements in order to ensure that the NDP is driven by the community and can draw on skills and expertise from outside the Council. To this end a Steering Group (SG) has been set up to lead the project through to the Draft Consultation Stage. The SG has its own website and Facebook page. Formal contact between the SG and the Town Council will be between the SG Chair and the Town Clerk.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
1. Name of group
The Bungay Neighbourhood Development Plan (BNDP) Steering Group.
2. Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the Steering Group (SG) shall be:
a) to improve the area of Bungay town as edged in red on Map 1 (the Neighbourhood Area) for the benefit of individuals living and working within the Neighbourhood area and the local organisation;
b) to promote the social, economic and environmental well-
c) to prepare in partnership with the Local Planning Authority a neighbourhood plan for the Neighbourhood Area;
d) to encourage the goodwill and involvement of the wider community;
e) to foster community spirit and encourage civic pride.
In furtherance of the aims and objectives, but not otherwise, the SG may exercise the power to:
a) promote the social, economic and environmental wellbeing of those individuals living and working within the Neighbourhood Area;
b) promote sustainable development, environmental improvement and conservation by educating, encouraging and assisting the local population in environmental practice, working in partnership with similar groups and organisations;
c) invite and receive contributions and raise funds where appropriate, to finance the work of the BNDP;
d) publicise and promote the BNDP and organise meetings, training courses and events or seminars etc.;
e) work with groups of a similar nature and exchange information, advice and knowledge with them, including co-
f) use advisers and volunteers (who may not be members of the SG committee) as are necessary to conduct activities to meet the aims and objectives.
1) Membership of the SG is open to:
a) individuals who live in the BNDP Area;
b) local businesses and individuals who carry out business and work in the BNDP Area.
2) The SG will aim for as wide a representation of communities in the BNDP Area as possible.
3) Where it is considered membership would be detrimental to the aims and activities of the BNDP, the SG shall have the power to refuse membership, or may terminate or suspend the membership of any member by resolution passed at a meeting. The Steering Group reserves the right to remove any member not attending the full meeting for three (3) consecutive times and not participating in subgroup activities. Notice to be given on the agenda, if it is proposed that the SG refuse, suspend or terminate membership for non-
4) Any member of the SG may resign his/her membership by providing the Secretary with notice.
5) The Secretary shall maintain a list of members at all times. The maximum number of members will be 30.
6) All members shall have an equal vote. Chair of a meeting is to have a first and a casting vote; the latter may be exercised only in the event of a tied vote.
7) Members must declare any interests as defined by the Suffolk Code of Conduct.
5. Steering Group
1) The BNDP shall be administered by the SG officers.
2) Officers will comprise no fewer than five (5) who must be more than sixteen years of age (16). The maximum will be six (6), only three (3) of whom may be members of the Bungay Town Council (BTC).
3) SG members can appoint officers to fill vacancies that arise, the vacancy to be shown on the agenda and the subsequent appointment made at a meeting of the SG.
4) The SG officers will oversee the work of the SG. The officers will meet at least ten (10) times a year for this purpose. The SG will meet ten (10) times a year.
5) Subgroups working in specified areas will report as necessary to the full SG.
6. Steering Group Officers
The SG shall have the following officers:
including a minimum of two members of Bungay Town Council.
1) It shall be the responsibility of the Chair to chair all meetings, if present. If not, the Deputy Chair (if present) will chair the meeting. If neither officer is present, members attending will appoint a chair pro tem for that meeting only. All meetings must be minuted and accessible to interested parties.
2) Sub groups shall present in email format, any reports to the Secretary 14 days before the date of the next meeting.
3) The Chair and Secretary shall prepare the items for the agenda. Where other members require items to be listed on the agenda, these should be submitted to the Chair and Secretary by e-
4) The agenda will be issued on the website (and to members via Dropbox) no later than seven (7) days before the meeting takes place.
5) Reports will be assumed to have been read in advance of the corresponding meeting.
6) Issues will be decided by a majority of votes cast by those members present at a meeting.
7) The quorum for ordinary meetings will be 30% of the membership at the time of the meeting. If a meeting is inquorate, it may proceed with the business on the agenda, but no decisions can be ratified until the next quorate meeting.
8) A copy of the agenda and minutes will be sent to the Town Clerk as well as to Bungay Library for public display. They will be posted on the BNDP website.
9) Observers/members of the public can attend any meeting, but may not take part in the main discussions. Observers are invited to contribute at the end of the meeting on any item on the agenda.
Correspondence to members will be sent to the member’s last notified email address.
1) The SG will have the power to raise funds as necessary for its activities, by grant, donation or any other appropriate means.
2) All funds acquired by the BNDP, including donations, contributions and bequest, shall be paid, via the Town Clerk, into an account in the name of Bungay Town Council. Whether held in an account which holds only BNDP funds, or pooled with other Town Council funds, BNDP funds shall be treated as ring-
3) Proposed expenditure must appear as an agenda item for consideration by a meeting of the SG. Approved expenditure shall be managed in accordance with the requirements of the SG by the SG officers, who will make a finance report to each meeting of the SG.
4) All funds must be applied to the aims and objectives of the BNDP and for no other purpose.
5) Appropriate accounting records shall be maintained by the Treasurer. Annual accounts drawn to 31st March are to be prepared for approval by members at a meeting of the SG within 3 months of the year end. When approved, a copy will be supplied to the Town Council.
10. Neighbourhood Planning
1) Any decision to undertake, consult on or submit to Waveney District Council any Neighbourhood Plan shall be subject to a vote of the members of the SG.
2) All consultation on the Neighbourhood Plan will be open to all residents and businesses whether members of the SG or not.
3) The SG shall set up a website to publicise the neighbourhood planning process, use social media platforms, utilise local media and other recognised methods of communication as appropriate, record it and seek views of the public.
11. Alteration Of The Terms Of Reference
1) Any changes to these terms of reference must be agreed by a majority vote of the SG.
2) Proposed amendments to the terms of reference shall be conveyed to the Chair and Secretary in accordance with these terms of reference. Proposals so received are to be entered on the agenda for the next meeting of the SG and the full text of the current terms and the proposed amendment distributed to all members with the meeting agenda.
1) A proposal to dissolve the SG shall be conveyed to the Chair and Secretary in accordance with these terms of reference. The proposal will be entered on the agenda and put to members at a meeting of the SG convened for the purpose and, if approved, for the purpose of agreeing a programme for orderly dissolution including protection of BNDP assets and funds.
2) Following approval of a resolution to dissolve, the officers of the SG will liaise with the Town Council to meet the financial obligations of the SG from BNDP funds held, proceeds of BNDP assets realized and expenditure specifically approved by the Town Council. Financial obligations may include the return of funds where this was a condition of the grant or donation.
3) A meeting convened for the purpose of considering a proposal to dissolve shall be deemed quorate, if, in the first instance, it is attended by 65% of the membership at the time of the meeting (rounded up). If such a meeting is not quorate, the Chair will convene a further meeting for the same purpose not less than 14 days and not more than 28 days thereafter, to which the quorum requirements of an ordinary meeting will apply.
4) Any BNDP funds or assets remaining after the above obligations have been met shall revert to the Town Council to be used at its absolute discretion.
5) When the programme of dissolution is complete, all books, documents and records shall be deposited with the Town Council.
|Annis Hill Field|
|St Mary's Church 25/02/17|
|St Edmunds Fair 07/07/17|
|Housing, Urban Design & Historic Buildings|
|Town Centre, Retail & Employment|
|Traffic, Transport & Environment|